Use Agreements

These agreements can be concluded between academic institutions, government agencies and/or businesses. DUAs can be categorized into two categories depending on the type of data transferred: If you want to obtain a data contract or request another access to a data set, complete the DATA Acquisition Request (DAR) form. Please work with your research office to help you send this form. Questions can also be directed to the coordinator of the data usage agreement within the Office of Sponsored Programs. The purpose of this form is to collect the first information in order to support the processing of your data collection request. This form, along with a copy of all relevant agreements and other documents, must be provided Data transfer between organizations is common in the research community. When the data is considered confidential, proprietary or otherwise confidential, the organization that provides the data (“provider”) often requires the organization receiving the data (“recipient”) to submit a written contract to outline the terms of the data transmission. Such a contract is generally referred to as the Data Use Agreement (AEA), but can also be characterized as a licensing agreement, confidentiality agreement, confidentiality agreement, memorandum of understanding, agreement or other names when these agreements contain data sharing or transfer requirements.

OSP is the campus signatory for research-based data use agreements. DUAs must be forwarded to PSO through Kuali Research in order to obtain the final judgment and authorization. The PSO has the right to enter into contractual agreements on behalf of umBC, including THE AADs, to ensure compliance with the relevant guidelines and regulations. Researchers are not authorized to negotiate or sign these agreements and cannot sign DUAS on behalf of UMBC. DUAs should not be signed by university faculties or staff if the PSO does not obtain institutional authorization. The good news is that city, county and municipal governments can work with school districts by entering into so-called sharing agreements to allay these fears. A Data Use Agreement (ACA) is a contractual document used for the transfer of data developed by non-profit, public or private companies when the data is not public or subject to other usage restrictions. Often, this data is a necessary component of a research project and can be data from human subjects from a clinical trial or data set limited to the meaning of HIPAA.

Universities will want to ensure that the terms of the AAU protect confidentiality if necessary, but allow for adequate publication and sharing of research results, in accordance with academic guidelines, applicable laws and regulations, and federal requirements. Confidentiality agreements are similar in that they limit the use and disclosure of the data set and, in some cases, a CDA format can serve as a starting point for creating an ASA suitable for data transmission. As an alternative to limiting the use of university property to university staff, control of the property can be maintained by careful consideration of potential land users and by the use of forms for the use of real estate.